Skip to main content

Attached to the USS Handcock

I guess you could say I was attached in a way because my dad flew off the Hancock during this time. His jacket has that emblem on the back of it. Until recently I thought when he said he was among the first Pilots to take off with steam catapults that he was talking about World War II. But recently I discovered that the Randolph was the first carrier to use steam catapults. Maybe they use some different kind of catapult in late World War. But you can see in the footage here is of the Catapult test sleds. You also see that in some of the footage here the Skyraider being launched by the catapult off a different carrier and it's wheels are in the air before they hit in the end of the deck. There's footage from the Randolph that shows F9F cougars being catapult launched and tipping down towards the sea as they gained airspeed followed by an unassisted Skyraiders rumbling down the deck with its wheels in the air before it gets to the end. LOL  maybe you could let let a Skyraider Lumber down the deck while the Catapult is getting up steam again for the next cougar launch.

So I was a three year old in 1953 and we lived in San Diego because he flew back  and forth from the Handcock to Miramar. Too bad this videos not getting more attention it's very cool. I have his flight log books so I can see his Landings and takeoffs on the Hancock. I guess I  didn't mention he was a Skyraider pilot then. He also flew the S2F but I'd have to look closer at the log book to see if he did carrier Landings on the Randolph or later on the  Hancock in the S2F. I think most of his s2f time came 1956 through 58 when he was a flight instructor and we lived in Kingsville Tx And he flew out of NAS  Kingsville. Although I know from his log books that most of his time during those years was in a T-28.

 I know for a time he was in the Hell's Angel Squadron VA 54 (Angeli Inferni) and he has that very cool patch on the sleeve of the jacket and the other sleeve has the patch for the Randolph Mediterranean Cruise of 1955 but I have yet to find that Squadron number in the film footage from the Hancock or the Randolph. I keep seeing video of AD--5s both here and on the Randolph. I'm about to sell his AD-6 flight handbook That's dated October 1953. The cool thing about that handbook is it's got " restricted" blacked out and has a blue stamp that says "confidential". I haven't seen that on other Skyraider handbooks.

 By the way when I was 5 in 1955 before he went off on the Randolph Cruise we were on base for what I recall they called inspections where he'd be in his dress whites. He walked me by the hand down the flight line and walked me up to an ad-5 and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. (the Skyraider had different cockpit configurations and one of them is a two seater, side by side) I said I did, and he put me in the thing strapped me up put the helmet and microphone on me hooked me so we could talk through the helmets, then he called a guy over with a Fire Bottle (which means he planned this) and started the engine. I didn't freak out or anything but he says after a few minutes Of that big engine bouncing me around at idle has he warmed it up I asked him over the headset of maybe we could go for a ride another time. She had to have been  counting on cuz I don't believe for a minute that on a base inspection day with the base crawling with brass he would he be taking a five-year-old up in a Skyraider LOL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Objectivity, conformation bias, the stork and far left knee jerk reactions to fracking and the Canadian pipleline.

  I'm a 64 year old liberal. But what I also try not to be on the topic of energy production is a hypocrite. As I read the responses here I’m certain that about 99% of you drive cars to your home where you turn on you lights, put your cell (made in an energy hog Chinese factory) on the charger, cook or microwave (made in an energy hog Chinese factory) something to eat, which you get from your freezer/refrigerator, (made in an energy hog Chinese factory) boot up your computer (made in an energy hog Chinese factory), hit the net, turn on a TV (made in an energy hog Chinese factory).. And on and on, yet you’d think from what’s here that you haven’t got a clue what powers it all. You can NOT live a modern life and be AGAINST energy production that is scalable to hundreds of millions, indeed billions of people. Please notice it has to be scalable. You can’t get nearly enough of it from our favorite tree hugging sources, wind, solar, hydro (most tree huggers don’t like that one) or

Inside the last minute of zero hour, Republicans tap out and cry "UNCLE!" on Obama care repleal!!

   By Jack Warner The fifteen million Americans that got insurance they didn't have before, and the ten million more that would have been kicked off plans, should be giving the sigh of relief heard round the world. What a thrill it was when watching C-Span this afternoon headed for that 3:30 vote when I saw someone walk to the speaker dais and hand a note to the Pro tempore at 2:29 and I realized they were pulling the bill and Republicans were spared being forced to vote and having an opponent run against that vote no matter which way it went. Their greatest fears would have been Republican primary challengers. Now they get to crawl back in there dark dank cave or holes in the ground waiting until Trump's "no amount of money is enough money" greedmongers call them out again to shill a "Tax Reform" bill. I've heard that in  some obscure ancient language "Tax" means "New" and "reform" means "Gulfstream G600" (N

To all Apollo moon landing hoaxers, deniers, and cranks.

 Used to be that if you needed information first you went to periodical publications like newspapers or magazines then your only other choice was libraries where you found drawers full of 3” by 5” index cards you had to slog through to find what you’re looking for. Or you go to the research desk where the person there would either know off the top of their head where to find it, or they would slog through the catalogs for you. It was hard for average people to check the accuracy of things they read. Then through the mid to late 1990’s libraries and other just about every other thing in the world became networked. From then if you really wanted to know the facts all you had to do was point click and type into search engines. That’s it. Virtually everyone born after 1985 or so has had all the information in the world at their fingertips. And yet through seemingly pure laziness many or most have squandered it!!! The world can be made safe from misinformed people and purposeful